Inside Mount (I.B.)
- Measure the width inside the window opening at the top, middle and bottom. Take the narrowest of the three width measurements, and round down to the nearest 1/8".
- Measure the height inside the window opening from the top of the window opening to the window sill three times. Measure once on the left, at the center, and on the right and take the longest of the three measurements. If you prefer to keep the blind from resting on the sill deduct a 1/4" from the height. If your window does not have a sill, measure to the point you would like the blind to reach.
- Measure the window on the diagonal. If the two diagonal dimensions differ significantly, it may be necessary to order an outside mount for optimal light control and privacy. See measuring instructions below.
- Do not take any allowances on the height or width. The factory will take all required allowances on an inside mount for mounting and operating clearance.
Outside Mount (O.B.)
- Measure the distance from the outermost points you would like the blind to cover. To minimize light leakage the blind should overlap the window opening by at least 1 1/2" on each side for a total of 3" on entire width.
- Measure distance from where the top of the blind will be located to the window sill. The blind should overlap the window opening on the top by at least 1-1/2". Some products may require more then 1-1/2" above the window for mounting hardware. Please review product specifications on desired product for exact flat vertical surface area requirements. If flat vertical surface area exceeds 1-1/2" use specified amount to determine overlap above the window opening. If there is no window sill, measure to the point you would like the blind to reach.
- Measure the distance from the outermost points you would like the blind to cover. To minimize light leakage and ensure privacy the blind should overlap the window opening by 4" on each side for a total of 8" on entire width.
- Consider the size of the vertical blind stack. Allow sufficient overlap for easy access through the door.
- Measure distance from where the top of the blind will be located to the floor on the left side, center, and right side of the window. The blind should overlap the window opening on the top by at least 3".
- Take a 1/2" deduction on the height to allow for operating clearance.
- Start your measurement a minimum of 2" above the glass (3" recommended) and measure down 2" below the glass. This will provide enough room to mount installation brackets at the top and hold down brackets at the bottom. The extra height above your window will also allow the blind to stack up above the glass and provide a less obstructed view.
- Measure the width of the glass and at a minimum of 1" (2" recommended) to both sides of the glass. The door handle may constrain the maximum amount of overlap that can be added to the width.